Good morning! I hope everyone had a wonderful Saturday night. I don’t know about you, but growing up I was never a breakfast person. I never liked traditional breakfast foods. I was known to have left overs from dinner, pizza, or even ice cream for breakfast. I would not touch eggs unless they were sunny side up, cooked by my father, and accompanied by toast triangles that could be dipped into the yolk.
Thank goodness my palate has changed! None of the breakfast options I spoke of growing up had a lot of protein in them. I need a breakfast high in protein to keep me full . There are several studies that have shown people who have a high protein breakfast stay fuller for longer and eat less throughout the rest of the day. Eggs are packed with protein and are extremely versatile. My delicious Southwest Omelette is just one option.
2-3 eggs (I use 2)
Bell pepper, chopped
3 slices of bacon (I use turkey bacon), crumbled
Cheddar cheese, shredded
butter for cooking
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a small amount of butter in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté onion and bell pepper until tender and onions are translucent. Crumble bacon into onions and peppers. Stir.
3. Beat eggs in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour eggs over peppers, onions, and bacon. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
5. Cook until cheese is melted. About 2-3 minutes.
6. Use a spatula to fold. Spread mashed avocado and sliced cherry tomatoes over the top.
You can add or omit any ingredients you like to craft this omelette to your liking. Today, I happened to have fresh jalapeno on hand so I threw them into my sauté.