Some people just don’t like eggs. I can relate because I used to be one of them. The only way I would eat eggs (until earlier this summer, I kid you not) was sunny side up with toast that I would dip only in the yolk. I wouldn’t eat the whites. Only the runny yolk on top of toast. My dad was and still is the best at making them for me.
As you can imagine, for someone who doesn’t like eggs, this can be very limiting at breakfast. It was a challenge for me to come up with protein-packed breakfasts that would keep me full without the incredible edible egg. It forced me to get creative.
Here is a paleo-friendly, egg-less, delicious and flavorful breakfast recipe. The combination may look a little strange, but I ask you to be open minded:
Sweet Potato and Apple Hash
2 sweet potatoes, pealed and chopped
1 apple, peeled and chopped
2 sweet Italian sausages, casing removed
1/3-1/2 cup of onions, chopped
2 cups of spinach
1 tsp cinnamon
salt, to taste
coconut oil for cooking
1. In a skillet over medium high heat, brown sausage with onions.
2. Once sausage is browned, remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Add small amount of coconut oil to skillet. Sautee apple and sweet potato until sweet potato is soft. About 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon and salt.
4. Add sausage and onion mixture. Cook for about a minute.
5. Add spinach. Cook until spinach has cooked down. About 2-3 minutes.
This is a great egg-less breakfast that can be made ahead of time. It is sweet and savory making it versatile enough that it would make a wonderful dinner. I can eat it hot or cold making it perfect for me to pack and take along for lunch. As I said before, it may seem like an odd combination, but it is truly delicious. Give it a try!