I have been promising this post for a few days, and I am sorry for the delay. There have been so many other things for me to post on that I kept moving this one to the back burner. But no longer!
I honestly cannot remember the last time I have had a pasta dish. Likely, it was during the season because all we seemed to eat was pasta, pasta, PASTA. Don’t worry, this recipe doesn’t have pasta in it, but it is a traditional Italian dish that is normally made with pasta. I found the original recipe on Pinterest, and tweaked it a bit to make it my own.
Without further adieu:
1 onion, diced
1 lb ground beef
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
Italian spices (oregano, garlic powder, pepper, salt, etc.)
salt and pepper to taste
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 lb zucchini, sliced into medallions
2 cups Greek yogurt
1 cup of cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and mozzarella)
1 head of broccoli roughly chopped
1 egg (I am pretty sure I forgot this in my recipe…so feel free to omit it)
1. Saute onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 3-5 minutes.
2. Add ground beef, tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, and garlic.
3. Cook until ground beef is cooked through then set aside.
4. In medium bowl, combine yogurt, cheese, broccoli, and egg.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. Lightly grease a 7×11 class casserole dish.
7. Place a layer of zucchini medallions across the bottom of the dish.
8. Cover with a thin layer of the meat mixture, then drop spoonfuls of the yogurt mixture on top of that.
9. Repeat this layering until you run out of ingredients. Sprinkle additional cheese on top if desired (I did, and highly recommend it).
10. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Set aside 10 minutes to cool before serving.
This dish is absolutely DELICIOUS. I have never been a big fan of traditional lasagna, but this I really, really like. It is low carb and clean, but still full of wonderful flavor. Give it a try!