I really like tart things. Green apples and other tart fruits are my favorite. My teammates can attest to my love for green apples; somehow I always found them in the hotel lobbies we stayed at. They sort of became my trademark.
Desserts are no exception. Anymore, I prefer more of a tart dessert than an overly sweet one. I have wanted to share this recipe with you for a while, but I tried it during the season earlier in the year and didn’t take any pictures. I got the original recipe from the Civilized Caveman and followed it to the letter the first time I tried it. It turned out perfectly, but I wanted to try to make it my own. Here is what I came up with:
Paleo Strawberry Lemon Bars
1/2 cup Honey
1 cup Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Strawberries
1/2 cup coconut oil
unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup Raw almonds
1 cup Raw macadamia nuts
1/4 cup Honey
1/2 cup Coconut oil, melted
1. Cook strawberries and 1-2 tbsp of water in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
2. Once finished simmering, blend strawberries in a blender or food processor until smooth.
3. In a different small sauce pan, whisk together eggs, honey, lemon juice, and strawberries and heat over medium-high heat.
4. Add coconut oil. Stir until coconut oil melts, the sauce begins to thicken and bubble.
5. Once thick and bubbling, remove from heat to cool completely.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the almonds and macadamias in a food processor or blender and blend until small chunks. You don’t want it like flour, there should be small chunks remaining.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients and nuts in a medium bowl until well mixed.
4. Grease a 7×11 glass dish and spread crust evenly across the bottom.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
7. Once both the crust and topping are cooled, spread the topping over the crust and sprinkle with as much coconut as you like.
8. Place in the freezer or fridge to firm up. Serve when firm.
I may be a little biased, but these turned out even better than the original. I may even use a little more strawberry next time or try blueberries instead or something like that. I have to warn you if you make these, have someone to share them with so you don’t eat the entire pan by yourself!
I also want to share a cool little video with you. My brother was deployed to Afghanistan a few weeks ago and before he and his squadron left, they filmed a few videos about the deployment. He is the first one “Brent” (he goes by Alex…blame the confusion on my mother) speaking at the beginning of the video. He’s pretty cool. I’m pretty proud of him.