Growing up, I absolutely LOVED Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad Bacon & Ranch. It is quick and easy to make and packed with sodium and mayo, not exactly the two healthiest things in the world.
I decided to see what I could do to clean it up, starting with the ranch sauce. Instead of mayo, I went with Greek yogurt and mixed up my own ranch seasoning to cut down on the sodium. Here is the recipe for the better-for-you ranch seasoning:
2 Tbsp dried parsley
2 Tsp dried dill
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp onion powder
1/2 Tsp black pepper
1/2 Tsp dried chives
1. Mix together all ingredients.
2. To make ranch dressing add a tablespoon of the mix to Greek yogurt or whatever you would like.
I used this seasoning again in another recipe that I will share with you tomorrow.
Now onto the main event, the Suddenly Salad cleaned-up copycat.
Clean Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
2 cups – Small shell whole grain pasta- I used brown rice pasta
1 5 oz container of plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp Ranch Seasoning
8oz young peas- I used frozen
1/4 cup shredded baby carrots
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
Bacon Bits – (I used 1/3 cup of the Oscar Meyer Real Bacon Bits)
1. Mix together Greek yogurt, ranch seasoning, and bacon bits. Set aside.
2. Mix all other ingredients together, then mix in yogurt mix.
3. Chill until serving. About 1 hour or so.
This copy cat did not disappoint. It’s clean and delicious, tasting pretty darn close to the original. It would be a wonderful addition to a summer BBQ or something like that. Give it a try!